A house of order? Not yet, exactly...

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I just love little man moments. And today was chocked full.
Yay for notepads on every horizontal surface, WITH a working pen nearby!

This week and next week, I am determined to get certain dysfunctional places in my house organized so I don't slowly slip over to the dark side of mental health. Today I wake up, ready to begin the daunting task at hand. I actually get to work in a somewhat timely manner. There I am, busy at work, trying not to give up before I really get started...when little man approaches.
Now, normally, he is content just to make sure I'm nearby; then he does his own thing. When I try to "intrude", he politely sends me packing with a "you can go now, Mommy". We do play together, he obviously just needs his own personal time.
Today, however, he HAD to have known I had my own personal plans because he would not leave me alone. (Of course I was loving every interruption...he is my little man after all.)

String of interruptions:

1) He walks up, grabs my hand, pulls me toward the living room and says: "You can sit wif me."
(aw shucks...Okay, just for a little while then I have got to get back to work.)

2) He comes to me with a toy phone and informs me that he will be calling. I get my "handy" finger phone ready and we have several "conversations". Just as I was getting ready to end the calling, he looks up with those irresistible eyes and says: "You a good talker, Mommy!" (well golly...okay, just one more phone call...okay, two).

3) Little man is at the kitchen table eating his lunch, so I think I'll take advantage of the distraction and get something done. A song comes on Noggin, he jumps off the chair, stands so tall while he looks me right in the eye and asks: "You want to dance?" (gee whiz! ...you bet I do!)

No, I didn't stick to my game plan today, but I accomplished more than I had even hoped. I didn't get to mark more than one thing off my list, but I successfully completed many important things. I can't say my house is yet a "house of order", but I feel a surety that my home is preparing "every needful thing". My son knows I love him. He knows he is more important than laundry or closets or bathrooms. When he needs mommy-time, he gets it. And when I need to know my little man is still aware of his mommy, he knows how to take care of business.

But I really have to get to work tomorrow! ;)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so nice when we can recognize those moments for what they really are instead of being frustrated for not getting things checked off our list. Thanks for the reminder.

BTW, I think you are one FABULOUS mommy/daughter/friend! :)

Anonymous said...

Taking a quick second to check your blog before I leave for Jury Duty and found your new blog. What a wonderful day you had with Little Man!

Beth said...

That is so sweet! Some days we all just need our moms!

Julie said...

I'm teary-eyed again! Stop it!! What a wonderful day!

*Lisa* said...

So so cute that Little Man! They really do have the best ways of interrupting our plans.

I need to get to work today too. We'll see how far I get!

Lacey Freeman said...

That is too sweet. Good luck on gettin work done today!! =)

Julie said...

You've just won an award! Come by my blog to claim it! :)

Anonymous said...

Someone once told me that your work will always be there, but your children will eventually move on so enjoy it all while you can! So way to enjoy it! :)

JT's Mommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JT's Mommy said...

sorry about the other post - my fingers are malfunctioning....
Anyway - he is so STINKING CUTE!
I wish he would ask his aunt Sandy to dance :)

shari said...

Before you know it you will be getting emails from some distant country and so happy for the short and sweet moments you had with him.

Jessica M said...

Ah, so true.

AND I LOVE YOUR NEW LAYOUT! As in WOW! It's beautiful!!

Karen said...

Sounds similar to my day. I talked danced and got nothting done too. So glad no one was watching. Ahh the fun we have.

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley