This morning, a friend told me I was lucky in reference to how a scary situation had played out. That word, lucky, sounded wrong. It conveyed exactly the wrong sentiment. I didn't feel lucky at all. Actually, I thought: If I'd really been "lucky" the situation wouldn't have occurred in the first place. What I felt...and feel...is blessed. Now that's a word that feels right.
Lucky...to me...brings to mind something of happenstance. It is completely random; without intent, meaning, or merit. It is devoid of any personal attachment. I don't want to rely on something fickle and prone to frequent absences without any warning. Luck is blatant, obnoxious, and ostentatious. It demands to be noticed. Luck does not have my best interest at heart.
Blessed...ahhh...now that sounds comfy and cozy. It invites thoughts of special and precious moments that are just for me. Being blessed means that Someone loves me...a lot...and is determined to help me through each day. Being blessed means that I am known...my wants, needs, fears, and likes. Being blessed is the epitome of personal. Some days I have to search for my blessing (they aren't always bright and glittery), but when I find it...and I always do...it is perfect.
My challenge to myself is to not quantify every good thing as a blessing and be done with it; but to really seek out the greater blessings that aren't staring me in the face.
My challenge to you is to find at least 3 "greater" blessings that aren't necessarily of the obvious persuasion. Write them down. And during those times you feel that you have looked in every nook and cranny and you still can't find one...you'll be reminded how easily they can become hidden in everyday clutter, and how easily they can be put back in place.
My Greater Blessings for today...so far:
1) K seeing how much she's grown when she put on a pair of blue jeans from last year that we used to have to roll waaaay up, and now...they're perfect. She was amazed.
2) Little man waking up this morning and instead of climbing out of bed himself, calling for me and saying: I need you.
3) My favorite International Delights creamer, white chocolate raspberry, making my fat-free, sugar-free, taste-free hot chocolate an eye-rolling pleasure.
Tombstone
6 years ago






4 comments:
Amen, Sister!
aw :) I love the "I need you", I'd be grateful for that too!
I removed the words 'luck' and 'lucky' from my vocabulary several years ago for the very same reasons you mentioned. Being so very blessed IS comfy and cozy, great way to describe it!
Beautiful. I completely agree! Thanks for the reminder Dana.
Post a Comment